(612) 206-3701 info@lucerelegal.com

My loved one just passed, so what do I do next?

Lucere Legal helps families with probate administration when a loved one has died

When a loved one dies, and the funeral is done, family members often wonder about what to do next. It can be difficult to want to handle legal and paperwork matters in the midst of grieving and even harder when you don’t know where to start.

Here is a list of things that need to be handled:

Social Security.  Notify the Social Security Administration about the death; and if you are a spouse or have minor children at home, you may be entitled to benefits.

Military Branch & Veterans Affairs. If your loved one served in the military, contact the branch of the military they served in and the Department of Veterans Affairs to notify them of the death and check for potential death benefits.

Death Certificate. Order multiple copies of the death certificate, as you will need to them to transfer financial accounts, get insurance benefits, and to use in the probate process.

Insurance Companies. Notify insurance companies of the death and find out their procedure for making claims. If your loved one died in an accident, there may be additional benefits available. Be sure to ask about accidental death clauses in the policy.

Pension Companies. Notify any pension or retirement benefit companies of the death. If pension benefits are unknown, ask your love one’s employer or former employer.

Social Services. If your loved one had been utilizing social service or entitlement benefits, notify the agencies administering those benefits.

Banks and Brokerage Companies. Notify the banks and brokerage companies where your loved one has accounts or loans.

Department of Motor Vehicles. Get car and RV titles changed at the motor vehicle registration office.

United States Postal Service. Have your loved one’s mail forwarded to your address.

Creditors. Gather up your loved one’s bills and notify all the creditors that you can find. Pay secured creditors, like the mortgage company, but consult with an attorney before paying unsecured creditors, like credit card companies, if it appears that there are more bills than your loved one had in assets.

If credit cards or other charge accounts were in your name and your loved one’s name jointly, you are responsible for those bills, but you need to remove their name from the account. If the account was in your loved one’s name alone, you are not responsible for that debt except for medical bills and “family necessary” bills if you are the spouse.

County Land Records Office. If you owned property with your loved one as Joint Tenants with Right of Survivorship, file an Affidavit of Identity and Survivorship with the County Recorder, along with a certified copy of the Death Certificate.

Probate Attorney. If your loved one owned more than $50,000 worth of property or had titled property, like real estate, you should consult a probate attorney to see if your loved one’s estate needs to go before the probate court. If your loved one left a will that named a personal representative, that person should be the one to consult with the attorney.

If your loved one has recently passed and you would like some help with the process, call our office at (612) 206-3701 or fill out our contact form to make an appointment. In most cases, the fees for estate administration get paid out of the estate, so there is no reason to not get the help you need – sooner than later.

Image courtesy of FrameAngel/ FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Contact us to see how we can help you with Probate Administration

You may also like . . .

How to Reduce the Risk of Identity Theft after a Loved One Dies

The recent data breach and identity theft at Target stores may be the hottest news right now, but there’s another type of identity theft that is happening all the time, but with a whole lot less media coverage. This new trend in identity theft – known as afterlife...

Tips & Rules for Minnesota Personal Representatives

If you have been named the Personal Representative of someone’s estate or the Trustee of a Trust, you may be unaware of all the details this responsibility entails.  Most parents name a child as a personal representative, but seldom do children then do the...

The plain-English guide for Minnesota small business owners

When it comes to business, ignorance isn't bliss; ignorance is risk.

There's a handful of legal topics that business owners should be familiar with, at least on a rudimentary level, to reduce the risk of having something horrible come out of left field.

This book is a legal guide to help you put the most common business legal issues on your radar, with enough information for you to be on the alert for when you may need to get some professional advice.

The intention in arming you with this information is so that you can proceed in business confidently and with fewer legal quagmires.

Do you have a cabin?

The first generation that buys a cabin enjoys it to the fullest and it’s a magical place where happy memories are made and families go for some much needed respite. Unfortunately, without thoughtful planning, the chances of the cabin staying a place of happiness and tranquility into successive generations is very, very slim.

If you haven’t done the planning in advance and made it legally binding, the family members (and their ex-spouses and new spouses) will have to work every detail out for themselves. If they can’t, what is likely to happen is a lawsuit called an action for partition that forces everyone to sell their interest. This lawsuit is expensive, and the costs of litigation will come out of the proceeds of the sale of the cabin, so to add insult to injury to those who wanted to keep the cabin but couldn’t afford to buy the others out, they are footing part of the legal bills in the lawsuit against them. Ouch!

It’s no wonder that family members stop speaking for years after the cabin conflict is “resolved.” You can’t make family relationships perfect, but you can take away much of the fuel for the family conflict fire. That’s what cabin planning does, and it has the nice side effect of giving you peace of mind now.

That’s why Kimberly wrote The Minnesota Cabin Planning Guide and Workbook, and you can get a free electronic copy of her book on our cabin planning website, or you can find it in many county libraries in Minnesota, or you can get it on amazon.com.

Make An Appointment>

Join Our Mailing List

Subscribe to our newsletter list to get information and resources helpful to running your business and planning and managing your personal financial affairs delivered right to your inbox.

We don’t spam and won’t share your information with anyone, at anytime, ever.

Check out our podcast

The Small Business Buzz Podcast